Do You Need a Minor Works Certificate?

A Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (also known as a Minor Works Certificate or MW certificate) is a document used to certify that electrical installation work has been completed in accordance with the relevant regulations. It is typically used for smaller, non-complex electrical works.

The certificate is issued by a registered and qualified electrician who has carried out the electrical work. It confirms that the work complies with the requirements of the British Standard BS 7671, which is the national standard for electrical installations in the UK.

A Minor Works Certificate may be used for various types of minor electrical work, such as adding a new socket or light switch, installing a new lighting circuit, or making alterations to an existing electrical installation. It is not intended for major works or new installations, for which an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) would be more appropriate.

The Minor Works Certificate provides documentation and assurance that the electrical work has been carried out safely and in compliance with regulations. It includes details about the work undertaken, the electrical contractor’s information, and any limitations or conditions related to the installation.

It’s important to note that electrical work in the UK should be carried out by registered and qualified electricians registered with NAPIT or NICEIC, and appropriate certificates should be obtained to demonstrate compliance with safety standards. Keep your Minor Works Certificate filed away, you may be asked for this when selling your house.

For more information contact our fully qualified electricians on 01225 789631


This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.