Has You Home Been Flooded?

Lots in the news right now about floods across the UK wth Bath being no exception.

Detecting whether flood water has damaged electrical wiring at home requires careful observation and often the assistance of a qualified electrician. Here are some signs that may indicate water damage to electrical wiring:

  1. Visible Water Exposure: If flood water has visibly reached electrical outlets, switches, appliances, or the electrical panel, it’s likely that damage has occurred.
  2. Burn Marks or Discoloration: Look for any burn marks, discoloration, or signs of overheating around outlets, switches, or electrical panels. These could indicate short circuits or other electrical issues caused by water damage.
  3. Strange Odors: If you detect any unusual odors, especially a burning smell, it could indicate that water has damaged electrical components and is causing them to malfunction.
  4. Tripped Breakers or Blown Fuses: If circuit breakers trip frequently or fuses blow after the flooding, it could be a sign of water damage to the electrical system.
  5. Flickering Lights or Sparking: Flickering lights, sparking outlets, or other unusual electrical behavior are clear indicators of potential damage.
  6. Soggy or Damp Areas Around Wiring: If you notice any areas of your home that remain damp or soggy even after the floodwaters have receded, there may be hidden water damage to wiring within walls or under floors.
  7. Mold or Mildew Growth: Mold or mildew growth near electrical outlets, switches, or wiring may indicate ongoing moisture issues caused by water damage.
  8. Non-Functioning Appliances or Electrical Devices: If appliances or electrical devices are not functioning properly after the flooding, it could be due to water damage to the wiring or internal components.

If you observe any of these signs or suspect that your home’s electrical wiring may have been damaged by flood water, it’s crucial to have a qualified electrician inspect the system as soon as possible to ensure the safety of your home and family. Avoid attempting to assess or repair electrical damage yourself, as it can be extremely dangerous, seek help from Arcs and Sparks on 01225 789631.


This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.